The Sony PMW-EX3 is a flash-memory based high definition camcorder capable of a variety of frame rates and resolutions using Sony’s new XDCAM-EX intraframe codec. A “big-brother” to the PMW-EX1, the PMW-EX3 ups the ante by providing an interchangeable lens mount. The mount allows users to put a variety of professional lenses on the camera, including 1/2″ and 2/3″ bayonet mounts (with optional adapter).
Enhancing both usability and workflow efficiency, the PMW-EX3 has an extensive set of features that push the boundaries of traditional handheld cameras, including a continuous record time of up to 140 minutes! Whether shooting in 720p, 1080i, or 1080p modes, the PMW-EX3 has it all covered. Its bevy of output settings lets users take advantage of fast and slow motion, as well as popular frame rates such as the “film-like” 24p mode.
- XDCAM EX
- XDCAM EX is a variant of Sony’s popular XDCAM HD codec, which has become a benchmark for affordable non-linear professional acquisition. Through the use of flash-based memory, the PMW-EX3 can take advantage of variable bit rate (VBR) recording. VBR technology intelligently employs less or more image compression to different portions of the footage dependant on which areas need additional bandwidth. The end result is higher quality video with a reduced amount of compression artifacts when compared to more antiquated constant bit rate (CBR) methods.
- Shoulder Mounted
- Like its more expensive ENG counterparts, the PMW-EX3 is designed to be used on the shoulder, allowing for more comfortable operation. The result is glass-smooth footage that can be recorded for an extended period of time before the onset of arm fatigue.
- Interchangeable Lens Mount
- The PMW-EX3 features a 1/2″ interchangeable mount capable of using both Canon and Fujinon 1/2″ and 2/3″ professional video lenses.
- Exmor 1/2″ CMOS Sensors
- By using Exmor 1/2″ CMOS sensors,Sony has once again raised the bar for handheld cameras, The result can often be additional noise or image degradation, sometimes sending otherwise usable footage to the proverbial “digital cutting room floor”. The PMW-EX3’s ultra-sensitive 1/2″ CMOS Exmor sensors fully take advantage of the increased surface area, delivering a signal-to-noise ratio of 54 dB! Wow.
- SxS Solid State Recording Technology
- SxS technology is built for today’s most demanding applications and beyond. Being based on the Expresscard/34 interface makes ultra-high transfer rates possible, up to 800 Mb/s. These high transfer speeds can be very important when trying to quickly download multiple gigabytes worth of footage.
- Under and Over-Cranking Made Easy
- Variable frame rates have been used in filmmaking since its inception. What is often referred to as “over-cranking” for slow motion and “under-cranking” for fast motion, is achieved by running film quickly or slowly through a film gate. This method makes for a simple yet effective technique, which can be used in a myriad of creative cinematic ways. The PMW-EX3 has the ability to simulate this same effect while keeping your hands free from all those stinky film chemicals. Shoot in a number of frame rates, select any clip, and watch your footage playback automatically in all its fast or slow motion glory!
- High Definition LCD
- When shooting HD footage, standard LCD screens can be very deceiving; what looked perfect amidst a full-day video shoot can sometimes prove very soft or out of focus while in post-production. This is a direct result of a simple fact: most camera mounted LCDs cannot resolve images in the same way they are being recorded. The PMW-EX3 comes equipped with 1-MegaPixel LCD screen, eliminating this oft-pesky phenomenon. Record with confidence, knowing that what you see is what you will get.
- Extended Record Time
- Due to the space-saving nature of XDCAM EX, the 8 and 16GB memory cards are capable of recording for long periods of time. Documentary work will never be a problem when shooting on the PMW-EX3.
- 8-Pin Remote Access
- The PMW-EX3 can be connected to the RM-B150 or RM-B750 remote control units via its 8-Pin connection. This feature makes the camera ideal for a variety of applications, including studio work.
|Signal System||XDCAM EX|
|Image Device||1/2″ 3CMOS|
|Lens||Removable Fujinon 14x Optical Zoom with Image Stabilization
|Lens Mount||1/2″ Bayonet (with 2/3″ adapter)|
|Signal-to-Noise Ratio||54 dB|
|Horizontal Resolution||1080 Lines|
|Sensitivity||2000 lux, 89.9% Reflectance, f/10 (Typical, 1920 x 1080 59.94i)|
|Minimum Illumination||0.14 lux (Typical)
1920 x 1080/59.94i mode, f/1.9, +18 dB gain, with 64-Frame Accumulation
|Vertical Smear||Not Specified by Manufacturer|
|Built-in Filters||OFF: Clear, 1: 1/8 ND, 2: 1/64 ND|
|LCD Monitor||3.5″, 16:9 Aspect Ratio, 921,000 Effective Pixels|
|Memory Card Slot||ExpressCard/34|
|Shutter Speed Range||1/33-1/2000 s
180°, 90°, 45°, 22.5°, 11.25°
|Gain Selection||-3, 0, 3, 6, 9, 12, 18 dB|
|Tape Format||Not Applicable|
|Tape Speed||Not Applicable|
|Signal-to-Noise Ratio||Not Applicable|
|Maximum Recording Time||16GB
HQ: 50 min
SP: 70 min8GB
HQ: 25 min
SP: 35 min
|Audio Dynamic Range||90 dB|
|Audio Signal Format||Linear PCM (2ch, 16-bit, 48 kHz)|
|Audio Frequency Response||20 Hz to 20 kHz, +3 dB/-3 dB|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||Not Specified by Manufacturer|